Order Sushi For Takeout Or Delivery!

Signs of Sushi Poisoning and How to Deal With Them

Are you worried that you are sick because of the sushi you ate? Here are some sushi poisoning signs and what you should do to deal with them.

Sushi lovers, of all people, know the importance of making sure that the food they eat is fresh and clean. Because it sometimes contains raw elements and its preparation is delicate, sushi is prone to contamination. If anything is not right with the sushi, it can lead to sushi poisoning.

Cases of Sushi Contamination

In 2008, Food Safety Watch reported that 38 percent of the outbreaks of seafood-related poisoning in the United States were caused by eating spoiled seafood. Bad fish is usually prone to having parasites and other things that can be harmful when ingested.

Recently, doctors extracted a 5.5-foot tapeworm from a man, and it was believed that he got it from eating sushi. In another example, a man complained of abdominal pain after he ate sushi. It was later discovered that there is a parasite in his upper abdominal wall.

While it will not always be this extreme, it is still important to know how to spot the signs of sickness caused by sushi, so you can immediately deal with the results.

Anisakiasis

This disease it not so common in the United States, because chefs can see the worm when they are working on the fish.

It needs an actual diagnosis from a doctor because it has symptoms that are similar to other kinds of food poisoning. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, nausea, and stomach cramps. Doctors are needed to remove the worms in severe cases.

Salmonella

As one of the most common types of food poisoning, the symptoms of salmonella will usually go away after 4 to 7 days even without a doctor. A person inflicted with salmonella will most likely suffer from fever, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps.

Severe cases can be treated with the help of a doctor, and antibiotics can sometimes be prescribed.

Mercury Poisoning

When you eat lots of big fish like yellowtail and tuna, you can get mercury poisoning. These fish contain large amounts of mercury, and you can get tremors, memory problems, numbness, muscle weakness, and tingling. This usually requires treatment in a hospital.

Nothing is ever risk-free, but you can always lower your chances of getting sushi poisoning. It is important to ask your restaurant where they get the seafood they use for sushi. Eating smaller fish also lowers the risk of getting sick because they probably have lesser contaminants.

If you are looking for a sushi bar or restaurant near you, Sushi.com can help you find a place where you can get clean, fresh, and delicious sushi.